Monday, November 12, 2007

Veteran's Day

Today was just one of those days. Taylor left early for Seattle til Friday. Bummer. Then with the kids home, I was planning on spending the day with grandparents, an hour away. I woke up to strong winds and advisories. I was disappointed, yet it was good not to tell the kids potential plans so they were saved disappointment (something I have learned as a parent :) With stormy weather it left us stuck inside all day with relatively nothing to do. The power went off this afternoon. Great, we didn't have much to do anyway and now there's no tv. The kids surprised me and jumped into action, remembering the power out experience last winter in Sherwood. After getting jackets on and flashlights for the bathrooms, they laid out a "game" blanket. They gathered books and games and puzzles and put them on the blanket. I got some snacks out and they were happy doing their things. It was like an adventure for them and we were all in it together. It reminded me about preparedness and how our 72 hour backpacks are across the complex in a garage with an electric garage door opener! The electricity did come back after awhile and we were able to heat up some leftovers for dinner and finish the day with FHE. I shouldn't say finished because then with kids in bed I tend to stay up and relax. Tonight was "Dancing with the Stars" and a long phone call with my sister. Goodnight.

No comments: